Friday, May 2, 2008

the beginnin'

So here's the deal: I'm twenny, I'm a freshman in college (took a year off) and I just made the Fort Collins roller derby team, FoCo Girls Gone Derby. I figured I'd keep track of my progress or something because I'm starting off at the very bottom of the chain.

A few weeks ago tryouts were held at Rollerland. The coaches watched off to the side as we tried 'crossing over' when turning, did several stops (hockey stops- not my forte!!) and then an obstacle course- which I was not even kind of expecting. All of the potential derby girls skated off together, maneuvering around orange cones without lifting our legs, jumping over hockey sticks and, last but not least: skating underneath a limbo stick, squatting as low as we could. In addition to sweating buckets I had a blast, was a little sore and am more than excited about practices starting May 19th.

If you don't know what roller derby is, Wikipedia it! Keep reading this little guy as I continue my journey towards bouting in derby tournaments and registering my official derby name..I've got a long way to go.

No comments: