Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Tuesday's practice

Just when I thought that I would never have to face it again, I stood corrected: the obstacle course had returned. This time, badder than ever. The rest of the "white belts" (beginners) and I went through each station over and over, with a derby sister (mine was Laura Mangles Wilder) steering behind us. I had a really hard time putting all of my body weight on my front leg when doing the cone exercises. Lucky for me, we got to do those for the last half-hour of practice. In actuality it probably was good, because I noticed that sometimes my knees bump together like I'm pigeon-toed.

Everyone was way sweatier than Monday. The white belts got to sit on the wall and watch the last part of the green/brown/black belts' practice. A few of the girls' legs were the equivalent to my entire body height. We decided that those girls would be the ones to kill us. One girl in particular who was probably 5'9 and the most graceful person on the rink. Her elbows popped the others on the tops of their heads, and her cross-overs were completely enviable. Ghetto Gorgeous, the other coach, acknowledged our gawks in her direction. "She couldn't even SKATE when she got here," she said. Little did Ghetto know that that statement was so full of hope for the rest of the white belts and I- knobby knees and all.

No comments: