Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Possessed to Skate

Having a roommate that you are very good friends with is lucky, but having a roommate that you are good friends with while still managing to kick each other's asses around in rollerskates is better. What's more, the other never tires of hearing about what you liked about practice on that particular day, or being shown multiple bruises in the shapes of wheels on your arms and legs. I love you, Cox.

Since Cox and I discovered that we were going to be placed on opposing teams, we thought it was funny. There's a great book called "Roller Derby: The History and All-Girl Revival of the Greatest Sport on Wheels" by Catherine Mabe, and an even greater picture inside; Two women, one blond and the other brunette, are skating neck-and-neck, about to pummel each other. We plan on getting this picture blown up and mounting it in our living room.

That said, now that we've found dresses to bout in for the Black and Blue Ball, we wear them around the house constantly. Yesterday I came home and Cox was eating dinner in her sequined blue tutu. "Check out these fishnets I found!" she exclaimed. Later that night I helped my friend Allie fix a flat on her bike wearing my off-the-shoulder black 80s prom dress with an asymmetrical line. In exchange, she helped me chop off the sleeves of my dress for optimum skating movement.

The skate park opening on Saturday evening ruled, by the way; We skated around the parking lot and talked to lots of people. While I joke to my boyfriend Bryan that he is going to be a part of the Grown Man Skateboarding Club, I shouldn't- because I will certainly be a member on the other gender's side.

No comments: