Saturday, October 18, 2008

Subcultural Grrls

On a Sunday afternoon, several of the lovely ladies of FoCo Girls Gone Derby got together to do a photo shoot for a pin-up themed calendar. We arrived at Bas Bleu Theatre with a few changes of costumes and lipstick tubes, in search of mamosas.

Winnie Chester had hired two students to do hair and make-up. Time was a little behind, and so we all ended up waiting for quite awhile. Which was fine, because there was a cooler of New Belgium beer at our disposal.

My hair was not cooperative. I looked through a book filled with elaborate hairstyles and decided that I wanted the "biggest one." The woman working on my hair had a little more sense; After many failed attempts, she finally settled on the effects of two hot rollers on either side of my head. We stuck a flower behind my ear to finish it off. Ta-da!

I wore my high school graduation dress; Not gonna lie, the only real memory I have of that particular day is going commando onstage. I don't even remember walking across the auditorium to get my diploma. Here's to the memories that high school created, and the fact that I am still able to fit into that dress.

My photo session was outside of Bas Bleu, on the side of the dirt road. Standing by a stack of suitcases, I pretended to hitch-hike while actual cars drove by and spotted a crazy looking person with too much make-up on, red thigh highs and rollerskates. I wouldn't have picked her up either. To be honest with you, Sexecutioner had cohersed me into doing so many shots of whiskey beforehand that I thought I was going to vomit each time the camera's shutter closed. It's a good thing they did it outside.

Everyone ended up looking fabulous.

The calendars will be sold at the merch table at the bout this coming Saturday. I hope that each time you look at those pictures, Jack Daniels pats you on the shoulder. Lord knows that's what he'll be doing to us.

No comments: